Find More Information
Varicose veins are caused by venous insufficiency as a result of valve reflux (incompetence). The venous insufficiency results in dilated, tortuous, superficial vessels that protrude from the skin of the lower extremities. Spider veins are dilated capillary veins that are most often treated for cosmetic purposes.
Avinash Vallurupalli, D.O.
Position: Medical Director (USRC-TDC)
Location:TDC - Southwest
The initial management consists of optimal medical therapy:
- Avoidance of prolonged standing
- Smoking cessation education
- Use of graded compression stockings
- Daily exercise plan
- Periodic leg elevation over 3 months
Several patients would need interventional therapy since conventional conservative management alone does not improve the agonizing symptoms of varicose veins. We use radiofrequency ablation of varicose veins which is minimally invasive alternatives to vein ligation and stripping. Endovenous radiofrequency ablation is FDA-approved for treatment of the greater saphenous vein, perforators and tributary veins. Endovenous laser ablation is FDA-approved for the treatment of varicose veinsand varicosities associated with superficial reflux of the greater saphenous vein.
- Stasis ulcer of the lower leg, as above
- Significant pain and significant edema that interferes with activities of daily living
- Bleeding associated with diseased vessels of the lower extremities
- Recurrent episodes of superficial phlebitis
- Stasis dermatitis
At Tarrant Vascular Clinic we offer comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic strategies for management of varicose veins by our experienced interventionists.